The Trainee Solicitor program
All Trainee Solicitors who start with KWM will be involved in the International Graduate Program (IGP). The overarching goal of the program is to help you become a successful lawyer in an international market.
The program will enable Trainee Solicitors to spend four, six-month rotations in three different practice groups. Trainees will also have the opportunity to apply to complete a rotation in one of our overseas offices. Our IGP program promotes and supports the mobility of our staff across our global network by providing an integrated, firm-wide program.
What you’ll learn
In your first two years you will receive:
- Meaningful work covering a wide range of practice areas (both in HK and in other jurisdictions)
- Client contact and an in-depth understanding of how they operate in a commercial and regulatory environment
- The opportunity to work with a range of Partners, Senior Associates, and Associates in different practice groups
- A practical understanding of different areas of our legal practice
- A comprehensive knowledge of the firm, our technology, our resources, our processes, and of course, the people you’ll work with
- Feedback – at the end of every rotation, you will receive formal feedback from the Partners and Senior Lawyers you have worked closely with.
As part of your IGP we also offer a range of training options:
- Induction Program: 45 modules over the first six weeks providing an overview of the firm, our people, our systems and our way of doing business
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD): practice groups meet to discuss recent developments in their area of the law and to exchange practical tips
- Major issues/developments: lunchtime CPD seminars for all lawyers in the firm to provide legal updates and training
- External seminars: lawyers are encouraged to attend external training seminars to find out about recent developments in particular areas of law.
In Hong Kong, the offer of a Trainee Solicitor contract is conditional upon successful completion of the Postgraduate Certificate of Laws (PCLL) course. It’s a full-time course that begins in September and ends in June. Our Trainee program is conducted in line with The Law Society of Hong Kong’s Trainee Solicitor Rules.
No matter where you are in your career, we’re committed to being a leading employer among legal services in Hong Kong. So we’re always looking for ways to help you blend your work, life and interests outside of work. We have a range of policies and benefits to give you the flexibility you need.
Health and wellbeing
- Subsidised gym membership
- Onsite yoga program
- Annual health and wellbeing expos
- Sporting activities
- Monthly massage
- Free flu shots
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Employee rewards and recognition
- Social committee and activities
- Community and pro bono program
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee and activities
- Volunteer leave
- Leave of absence
- Time in lieu.